ink, two leaves
watermark/embossment: N, no symbol
18 x 11 cm.
folded in rectangles
One of fourteen poems selected for article contributed by T. W. Higginson to the Christian Union, XLII (25 September 1890), 393, titled "The Wind." Poems (1890), 96-97, also titled "The Wind." CP (1924) reproduces the text of Poems (1890). A major change occurs in the Centenary edition (1930) and subsequent collections. Here the copy to Sue furnishes the text, with wording exactly rendered. The twelve lines missing in the previous collections are incorporated as stanzas 3, 4, and 5, with this note:
This poem, published on page 122 of the Complete Poems, appears now with the three missing stanzas restored as in the original manuscript sent to Susan Gilbert Dickinson, and also as written to Colonel Higginson. (CP 105)
Dickinson Electronic Archives Main Menu
Image reproduced by permission of the Houghton Library, Harvard University. Not to be reproduced in whole or in part without permission.
Transcription and commentary copyright 1996 by Martha Nell Smith, all rights reserved
Last updated on May 16, 2001
Maintained by Tanya Clement <email@example.com>